AFTER TAX DAY TIPS FOR BUSINESSES
Every year, thousands of identity theft incidents occur around tax season. In 2011, Internal Revenue Service (IRS) department officials identified as many as 260,000 identity theft fraud attempts, revealing a striking increase from 49,000 in 2010. During tax season and throughout the year, it is critical to safeguard confidential data. Follow the tips below to safeguard your sensitive information:
- Create a retention schedule and securely shred documents once they are no longer needed.
- Store sensitive documents in a secure place; this includes electronic and paper documents.
- Monitor online accounts and check credit reports regularly.
- Protect sensitive files and documents with unique passwords. Change them monthly and avoid common passwords, including birthdays and maiden names.
- Remove sensitive information from old computers, cell phones or tablets before disposing.
- If a website asks for your credit card or social security number, verify that it is a secure site. Do so by checking for a padlock icon, which is typically located to the right of the address bar.