Online Customs Compliance Training Course
US Customs Compliance Essentials
Companies that import goods into the United States must adhere to strict customs laws. Employees who specifically deal with customs-related issues should be aware of these regulations in an effort to prevent customs-law violations and the resulting penalties that can be levied against them as individuals and your company.
Customs laws are numerous and they cover a broad range of subjects. For example, the U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) agency enforces laws at the border that are administered by other federal agencies, such as the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). CBP has many enforcement tools in its arsenal, including civil and criminal penalties that can be imposed on both companies and employees individually.
The Cintas, 35-minute Online US Customs Compliance Training Course summarizes the essentials of customs law in easy-to-understand terms, enabling employees to identify customs-related issues and help ensure compliance. Topics include:
- What is the “reasonable care” standard?
- Determining the valuation of imported merchandise
- What is “qualifying for transaction value”?
- Definition of assists
- Transaction value — what payments are to be included?
- Rules for required recordkeeping
- Complying with CBP record requests
- All about tariff classification
- What are special duty programs?
- Importance of country-of-origin marking
- Financial penalties
- Determining liquidated damages
- What to know about seizure and forfeiture